CALL: ‪(757) 504-2815

Former Senior Appellate Attorney At the JAG Defense Appellate Division available for your court-martial appeal

Can a Court Martial Conviction be overturned? How do you appeal a court-martial conviction?

Yes, it is possible and the military courts-martial appeals process is where service members have their cases heard. If you, or a loved one was convicted by a military court-martial, you have been through a traumatic, life-altering event. Now you are searching for help in figuring out what to do next and how to overturn a court martial conviction.Partial profile of sad Soldier worried about getting a military appeal attorney to overturn a court martial conviction The military has a court-martial appellate system with unique power to review court-martial convictions and in some cases provide significant relief to convicted service members. It’s important to find an appellate defense attorney who has experience working within this unique system. Your choice of an appeal attorney could make the difference in your appeal increasing the possibility to overturn a court-martial conviction, whether its for Article 120 or other UCMJ violation. A court-martial appeal can take a long time, possibly up to two years or longer. When your lawyer works to appeal a court martial conviction, patience is crucial.

I am military defense lawyer Peter Kageleiry, Jr. I am an experienced court-martial appellate defense attorney. Since 1998, I have focused on court-martial law and I have successfully defended many court-martial cases and court-martial appeals around the globe. In my role as Senior Appellate Attorney at the Army Defense Appellate Division, I contributed to dozens of the most significant military appellate cases in recent years including the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, seeking success to overturn a conviction. I was chosen to work on the most complex appellate cases and participated in specialized training for appellate defense attorneys handling appeals. I retired from the Defense Appellate Division as a lieutenant colonel.

What happens if you lose a court-martial?

  • Case is reviewed to determine qualification for the Service Court of Criminal Appeals
  • An experienced Appeals Lawyer will look for errors in a Record of Trial
  • Appellate attorney should take an individual, holistic approach for the appeals process for the client 
  • The TDS assigned or privately retained appellate lawyer will write and submit the Appellate Brief
  • Petition to the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, or CAAF may follow the appeal to the service court

Click below for a more detailed description of the Court Martial Appeals Process.

“It is priceless to have on your team a support system and a lawyer you can trust like Peter, who truly care about you not just as an individual that they represent, but you as person.”

Why Hire A Civilian Court-Martial Appellate Attorney?

Experience matters. I am a retired lieutenant colonel and I served as both a line officer and a JAG: I know both military law and the military. The military will provide you with an appellate attorney at no expense to you. Most of these attorneys work hard and care about the job they do. I designed and implemented the training program for new appellate attorneys at the Army Defense Appellate Division. I have tremendous respect for the young attorneys assigned to the Appellate Divisions. However, these young JAGs are stuck in a system focused on career advancement and numbers of cases processed instead of individual clients. Most have never had the opportunity to appeal a court-martial conviction. You have served our nation bravely and you deserve an appellate defense attorney whose only concern is helping you win your case. Winning the case can range from getting relief on sentencing, throwing out specific charges or completely overturn a court martial conviction.

Not all defense attorneys, civilian or military, are the same. Since 1998 I have focused on military court-martial law. I have helped thousands of military members. Make sure the attorney you choose has the experience necessary to get the best outcome for you, your career and your family at your court-martial appeal. I invite you to take a detailed look at my attorney profile. I have helped many service members appeal a court martial conviction.

I hired Peter to help my son during his military appeal. That turned out to be a great decision! My son did not receive a fair trial for sexual assault and was sentenced to sixteen years in prison. After the court martial, the military gave my son a appellate lawyer, but that lawyer told my son there was nothing he could do to help him and wanted to submit the case right away without arguing on my son’s behalf. However, Mr. Kageleiry knew that the law was changing in some important ways that could help my son win his appeal, so he told my son to be patient. He turned out to be 100% correct. Peter did a very thorough and professional job. He answered all my questions and my son’s questions and showed that he really cares about his clients. Most important, Mr. Kageleiry knows military law. The appeal court overturned my son’s convictions and sentence. I am grateful that we found an experienced military lawyer to handle my son’s appeal. If you or your family member is in trouble with the military, hire Mr. Kageleiry!” – Client Endorsement from Avvo.

Contact The Law Office of Peter Kageleiry, Jr. Consultation

US flag next to a Judge's Gavel; overturn a court-martial conviction; military court-martial appeal attorney

Peter Kageleiry, Jr. is an experienced court-martial appeal attorney. Call now to consult on your case and explore the potential to overturn a court martial conviction.

No matter where you are stationed in the world, if you want to to appeal a court martial conviction, contact my office in Virginia Beach at 757-231-5406 or through our convenient online form to schedule a consultation.

Attorney Peter Kageleiry, Jr., focuses his legal practice exclusively on military court-martial law and related adverse administrative actions.

The Court Martial Appeals Process

Defending Your Freedom

If you are a soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine facing a military court-martial or
if you are under investigation put Peter Kageleiry to work in your military defense.
Your military career, your service record and your future depend on it.

Contact Us or Call for a consultation: ‪(757) 504-2815

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search